Seasonal crafts and activities are always fun for kids – here is a roundup of several that you can include in your lesson plans during the Thanksgiving season! Included are a field trip, lots of arts and crafts, reading/writing exercises, math activities, a few mini science lessons, and recommended books to read.
If you live in or are traveling in Massachusetts, consider visiting Plimoth Plantation for a wonderful Thanksgiving-themed field trip. (Yes, the spelling of Plimoth is correct!) We visited the museum and the Mayflower II several years ago, and it was very interesting and educational. Although we didn’t have kids at the time, I did observe several children having a good time, and they had several exhibits geared towards younger visitors.
It’s been so long since my visit, I didn’t want to recommend it without looking up some current reviews. There are several great reviews of Plimoth Plantation at trekaroo.com, and most visitors on Yelp.com gave it 4 to 5 stars (out of 5). Visit their web site to plan your visit.
Arts & Crafts
- Paper Pumpkin
- Tabletop Paper Cup Turkey Craft
- Pilgrim’s Hat Crayon Holder Craft (and more)
- Thanksgiving Coloring Pages (Printable)
- Thanksgiving Placemats (Printables)
- Thanksgiving Kids’ Table Printables
- Thanksgiving Crafts (Pinterest Board – lots of cute ideas)
- More Thanksgiving Crafts and Activities (another great Pinterest board)
- Thanksgiving Theme Craft Pages from Arts and Crafts with Amber Lamb or Child Art for 3s *
Arts & Crafts Tutorials on YouTube:
Reading & Writing Exercises
- Autumn Letters (Printable)
- Oak Leaf Alphabet (Printable)
- Thanksgiving Handwriting/Coloring Sheets (Printable)
- Thanksgiving Tracer Pages (Printables)
- Preschool Thanksgiving Worksheets and Printables (Includes coloring pages, math activities, and more)
- Leaf Counting Coloring Page (Printable)
- Mayflower Math Craft/Activity
- Thanksgiving Mazes (Printables)
- Thanksgiving Dot-To-Dot (Printables)
- Thanksgiving Math Worksheets (Printables)
- Thanksgiving Theme Activity Pages from Numbers & Skills With Button Bear *
- Sorting and Ordering: Collect Autumn Leaves
- Pumpkin Spice Play Dough Recipe
- How To Make Homemade Butter In 10 Minutes
Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Amazon.com and will receive a small commission if the links below are used to make a purchase.
- The Oak Inside the Acorn by Max Lucado
- A Pumpkin Prayer by Amy Parker
- The Story of the Pilgrims by Katharine Ross
- Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving by Eric Metaxas
- Gobble-Gobble Crash, A Barnyard Counting Bash by Julie Stiegemeyer
- From Seed to Pumpkin (Let’s Read and Find Out Science)
- Why Do Leaves Change Color? (Let’s Read and Find Out Science)
* A Beka updates these books occasionally so I am not including page numbers or specific descriptions.
Thank you for visiting Cotton Ridge Homeschool! I hope these ideas help you with your preschool year. Please feel free to comment below with your own ideas!
Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Amazon.com and will receive a small commission if the links above are used to make a purchase. However, I only recommend products and companies that I believe will benefit my readers. I am not affiliated in any way with Plimoth Plantation.
Copyright 2013 Kathryn Depew
Image from Flickr.com, used under the Creative Commons license. Credit: Massachusetts Office of Travel & Tourism